Your Forecast Is Headed to Your Inbox
But don’t just read our analysis – put it to the rest. Your forecast comes with a free demo account from our provider, IG, so you can try out trading with zero risk.
Your demo is preloaded with £10,000 virtual funds, which you can use to trade over 10,000 live global markets.
We’ll email you login details shortly.
You can manage your subscriptions by following the link in the footer of each email you will receive
An error occurred submitting your form.
Please try again later.
- USD/CAD weekly opening-range intact ahead of US NFPs – breakout pending
- Check out our 2019 projections in our Free DailyFX USD Trading Forecasts
- Join Michael for Live Weekly Strategy Webinars on Mondays at 12:30GMT
The Canadian Dollar is virtually unchanged against the US Dollar since the start of the week and we’re looking for a break of the weekly opening-range heading into US Non-Farm Payrolls on tap tomorrow morning. These are the updated targets and invalidation levels that matter on the USD/CAD charts this week. Review this week’s Strategy Webinar for an in-depth breakdown of this setup and more.
USD/CAD Daily Price Chart
Technical Outlook: In my latest USD/CAD Price Outlook we noted that Loonie was, “testing the origins of last week’s breakout and we’re looking for support ahead of 1.34 IF the broader up-trend is to remain viable– be on the lookout for possible price exhaustion / long-entries on a love lower.” Price briefly registered a low at 1.3377 before reversing sharply higher on with the advance now testing the weekly opening-range highs ahead of NFPs – look for the break for guidance.
A pivot / close back below 1.3435/37 would expose the monthly open at 1.3388 with bullish invalidation at the lower parallel / April open / 100-day moving average at 1.3340/45. A breach / close above the median-line is needed to fuel the next leg higher in price targeting the highlighted confluence zone at the 78.6% retracement of the yearly range at 1.3537.
Why does the average trader lose? Avoid these Mistakes in your trading
USD/CAD 120min Price Chart
Notes: A closer look at price action shows Loonie attempting to breach above near-term channel resistance today with the weekly opening-range capping the highs at 1.3479. A topside breach is needed to keep the immediate long-bias viable targeting the 100% extension at 1.3515 and confluence resistance at 1.3537– look for a bigger reaction there IF reached. Initial support rests at 1.3435/37 – weakness beyond this threshold would shift the focus back towards the 61.8% retracement at 1.3369 backed by the lower parallel at 1.3340/45.
Bottom line: USD/CAD has set a clean weekly opening-range and we’re looking for the break heading into NFPs tomorrow. From at trading standpoint, the immediate focus is on a break of the 1.3435-1.3479 zone for guidance with a breach above the median-line needed to fuel the next leg high. Ultimately, I’d be looking to fade strength on a spoke towards 1.3537. Review my latest Canadian Dollar Weekly Price Outlook for look at the longer-term technical picture.
For a complete breakdown of Michael’s trading strategy, review his Foundations of Technical Analysis series on Building a Trading Strategy
USD/CAD Trader Sentiment
- A summary of IG Client Sentiment shows traders are net-short USD/CAD- the ratio stands at -1.31 (43.4% of traders are long) – weak bullishreading
- Long positions are17.1% lower than yesterday and 26.6% higher from last week
- Short positions are13.7% higher than yesterday and 26.0% lower from last week
- We typically take a contrarian view to crowd sentiment, and the fact traders are net-short suggests USD/CAD prices may continue to rise. Traders are further net-short than yesterday & last week, and the combination of current positioning and recent changes gives us a stronger USD/CAD-bullish contrarian trading bias from a sentiment standpoint.
See how shifts in USD/CAD retail positioning are impacting trend- Learn more about sentiment!
Relevant US / Canada Economic Data Releases
Active Trade Setups
- Gold Price Outlook: XAU Testing Yearly Lows – Shorts Vulnerable
- Sterling Price Outlook: GBP/USD Bulls Buckle Up for Fed, BoE, NFP
- Euro Price Outlook: EUR/USD Snap Back- Trade or Fade?
- Aussie Price Outlook: AUD/USD Collapse Targeting 70 Support
- Kiwi Price Outlook: New Zealand Dollar Recovery could be Short-Lived
– Written by Michael Boutros, Currency Strategist with DailyFX
Follow Michael on Twitter @MBForex